Sunday, March 1, 2009

On Dancing

A year ago, i didnt know what was so great about dancing. I mean, yeah we've seen people who like to dance and sing and all , but personally it was all really out of my league. Watching hindi movies, i used to skip through the song sequences and when in a theatre, would happily take out mi cell and stare at the clock for 5 mins while the characters on the screen monkeyed around.

When  going to weddings, and i am a punjabi, weddings for us are mad occasions with lots of drums and music and dancing and recently shit like dancefloors and dj's, i would develop a basketball injury and apologetically refuse to step in the limelight, preferring to watch from a distance how respectable people, into property buisness or any reputable profession, make a fool out of themselves, swinging their fat bellies and tata sumo spec arses to some hollywood crapmusic. to be very honest, i still am not sold on the idea of dancing at weddings, it shit, ive tried it and made a fool out of myself, so i still have many basketball injuries to come.

neways, my first introduction to professional dance came when mi sis came for her holidays and said she wanted to learn salsa, couldnt find a partner so she dragged me along. i was like, okay, as so many girls dig dancing, and salsa is very popular in my college. i went along. i survived three classes. that asshole made us do some bollywood dance steps every class before starting salsa for warming up and timepass, and i used to loathe it. the actual salsa was nice and elegant until he said to pronounce the swing of my behind. that was my last class.

now, we have these college festivals in which there are dancing competitions. very good, i will turn up and see whether my class wins or not, as public approval through cheering is also important for the judges and i will try my best to make my class win, join the crowd and  generally add my voice to the cheering crowd. this year though, these two girls who were dancing were determined to make me dance. and since nobody else was volunteering for the dance, i agreed, well i had to or else i would have had two very upset girls, and i cant do that, the nice guy that i am.

so i danced in the college festival to some bollywood crapmusic and to be very frank, i still dont remember the songs that we danced to, i know there was some bounce in it, cuz we had to run in when we heard that. neways, the dance. i was convinced that i would be so bad that they would have to ask me to leave and everything would get uncomfortable and they would be extra nice to me cuz i would be feeling bad for getting kicked out. i was happy when two of the girls went in the corner to talk about something, i thought, about how to tell me go away politely. but now, i thing it was just some girly talk, cuz they didnt ask me to fuck off, and said that i dance pretty ok. i still dont know whether they were pulling my leg, cuz i still think i am shit in dancing. i was very conscious during the whole practising thing and was constantly asking my partner if it is okay or am i doing something wrong. there was this part, someone told me is part of jive or something, in which we had to look at our partners and dance. couldnt do it...its really weird. i mean, you are looking at her and just smiling, not saying anything, you jus have to say something. either i would say something stupid, cuz lets face it, times when i say stuff which is not stupid are very less, or i would look at my feet. wisely, i chose the latter.

nyways, the guys had an insignificant part in the whole dance and the girls were mainly dancing most of the times.i would like to say that we got selected for the finals because the girls danced so well, but i dont know what dancing nicely is. what i do know is that us guys fucked up the whole finals on the stage. forgot the partners in the end, timed everything wrong, looked at my feet while dancing, no expressions and generally made a complete hash of everything.

after the dance and everything, we took consolation in the fact that we had fun while dancing and enjoyed ourselves. yeah well, but i enjoyed more on the drive back home, when i had to drop some ppl and every1 was late and i was driving like a maniac. if mi parents had seen me drivin like that, i'm pretty sure they would have taken away my license and the car keys and shot me if i went within a mile of the car.weaving through the expressway traffic at ninety in a swift has its certain pleasures i think. i could go on about why a swift is the right car cuz of its suspension setup but i'm afraid i'll lose you, so i'll save it for a later post. back to the dance, yeah, i can say i enjoyed the whole experience. not only the dance, but after the dance we were just goofing around in the grounds, jumping to the different songs and singing summer of 69, it was good fun.

neways, i guess next year, i might be interested for the dance again, if the pros decide there is space for a goofball like me. yeah, even i am surprised. me interested in dancing?? next, i will be listening to buppi lahiri and crap hindi songs.

will have to think about this one. a lot.

enjoy, while i pound my head to a pulp trying to sort out this dilemma.

No comments: